What are the Benefits of Dental Mouth Guards?
Explore the benefits of dental mouth guards in detail. Know how to take care of a dental mouthguard.
Mouth Guards are progressively gaining popularity worldwide as they can improve the quality of your sleep and your life. Using a mouth guard will help protect your teeth from severe damage caused by teeth grinding, clenching, and the discomforts that come with bruxism and TMD (temporomandibular disorders). These dental inserts are often the best technique to minimize painful oral symptoms and achieve superior relief.
Mouth guards are dental devices that are used to cover the teeth. They help protect the teeth along with soft tissues like gums, lips, tongue, and inner cheeks from trauma or injury caused by teeth grinding/clenching or bruxism, contact sports such as hockey, soccer, football, and other activities which increase the risk of tooth damage, or other athletic activities with a high fall risk like biking, car racing, cycling, gymnastics, or ice skating.
People who wake up with pain and discomfort in their jaw and teeth and experience clenching with their jaws will benefit from mouth guards. The information provided in this guide discusses the benefits of a mouth guard and how to take care of a dental mouth guard.
There are two types of mouth guards based on what purpose they serve: night or sleep mouth guards, which are recommended to patients suffering from bruxism or teeth grinding, and Intra-oral Mouthguards to protect from sport-related oro-facial injuries or other activities.
What Are The Benefits of Wearing a Mouth Guard?
Wearing a mouth guards can offer several benefits, discussed below:
- Guard teeth against damage – Teeth grinding or clenching at night can cause the wearing down of tooth enamel and eventually increases the chances of nerve damage to the roots. This can also lead to dental cavities, sensitivity, loss of teeth, and toothache. mouth guards can help people avoid the wearing/chipping/fracturing of natural teeth immediately. Dentist-fitted mouth guards provided at First Point Dental can also be worn over dental braces, dental bridges, dental crowns, and dental implants by molding them to each individual.
- Prevent toothache, jaw pain, or headaches – Bruxism, which puts extra pressure on the teeth, can cause wear and tear on the teeth. It is associated with jaw pain, tooth pain, and headache. Wearing a nightguard is beneficial in preventing lockjaw and reducing the pain that comes with it.
- Get personalized mouth guards- Mouth guards are available through First Point Dental local dentists and are custom-fitted for sleep, nighttime, daytime activities, and more. Mouth guards prescribed by dentists or custom-made by them to fit into the patient’s mouth are always the most secure and best mouth guards to buy. In custom-fitted mouth protectors, dentists make use of a mold (impression) of the teeth to manufacture a high-quality mouth guards that comfortably fits one’s teeth and mouth. Although they cost more, they ensure the best protection and fitting. Depending upon how frequently they are being used and how much wear and tear they have undergone, the custom-fitted mouth guards are more durable than others available at drug stores. They can last for several years with proper care and maintenance.
- Improved sleep – The lack of sleep itself can have immense negative consequences on one’s overall health. Patients with mouth guards may have a more peaceful sleep at night as jaw muscles remain relaxed and there is no clenching force on the teeth.
- Prevent snoring – Snoring can become very intense and can cause sleep apnea and affect healthy sleep patterns. By creating a space between your upper and lower teeth, a nightguard allows air to flow more freely. This helps to reduce snoring.
What Are The Best Ways To Take Care of a Dental Mouthguard?
Mouth-guards must often be brought in for dental check-ups so that they can be checked for any cracks, rips, degradation, or other signs of wear and tear by the dental professionals. There are chances that mouth guards pick up bacteria already residing inside the mouth. Hence, it becomes very important to know the benefits of dental mouth guards and follow the dental care regimen involving twice-daily brushing and flossing of teeth to keep the teeth clean before the mouth guard is snugged in.
So How Does One Take Care of a Dental Mouthguard?
Patients can care for their mouth guards by doing the following:
- Do not expose the mouthguard to extreme heat such as direct sunlight or hot water. This can cause warping and change its shape.
- Rinse the mouth guard in cold water and clean it with a soft bristle brush and a non-abrasive daily cleanser after use. Follow this by drying on a clean, flat surface. Cleaning helps remove any debris and loosens plaque stuck on them.
- Keep the mouthguard in a vented, sturdy plastic case while not in use.
- Keep the mouthguard in a safe place, out of reach of dogs, children, or any other interference.
Are you suffering from bruxism and sleep apnea and want to achieve an improved quality of life? Schedule an appointment with the dental experts in Chicago at First Point Dental to know what is the best mouth guard and benefits of dental mouth guards to help you achieve better sleep, less pain, stiffness, and more to improve oral and bodily health.