Choose the Right One Between Tooth Flippers Vs Implant￼
Tooth Flippers Vs Implant? Searching for the best tooth restoration option to restore your smile? This dental guide can help you make the smart choice.
Normally, at about 6 years of age, children start losing their deciduous teeth to create enough space for the growth of permanent adult teeth. However, in some instances, you may have at least one missing adult tooth. This is an unfortunate experience that people can face due to mouth injury/trauma, genetic condition, periodontal disease, or severe decay/ infection. No one wants a gap in their smile! Spaces between the teeth can potentially create other oral health concerns and have long-term impacts on your appearance, self-confidence, speech, and biting/chewing functions of the teeth.
Thankfully, aesthetic dentistry has significantly evolved, and there are a variety of dental prostheses available that can help fix the tooth loss concern without causing discomfort inside the mouth. If you are seeking options for missing tooth replacement but are still unable to make the best choice between the tooth flipper vs implants, read the information provided for both alternatives along with their benefits to help you choose the right one between dental flipper vs implant.
Dental Flippers For Dental Restoration
Dental flippers are removable partial dentures that offer a temporary solution for people who have suffered tooth loss due to a disease or an injury. They are dental prostheses that are manufactured using acrylic material so that they resemble gums. They are fitted along the mouth palate or rested on the lower jaw. Usually, the flippers have one or more replacement teeth attached to them. They may include metal clasps as tooth retainers and a metal frame to secure the dental flippers around the existing nearby teeth without harming them.
Dental flippers are recommended by dentists or oral surgeons after the extraction of the damaged real tooth or post-bone/ tissues grafting so that the sensitive extraction or surgical site gets enough time to properly heal it before receiving a permanent tooth replacement. It is an ideal option for people whose teeth are not strong enough to support a fixed dental bridge or those individuals who cannot manage the expense of placing dental implants. Kids whose jawbone has not stopped growing can use them until their age is suitable for tooth implants.
Benefits Of Tooth Flippers
- Affordability– Dental flippers are less costly than other denture alternatives including teeth implants. Usually, a single tooth flipper is priced about 25% of the cost of a implant
- Easy to manufacture– As they are designed without the requirement of surgery, they can be ready in less time. Even if a tooth extraction needs to be done, dental flippers can be manufactured well in advance i.e. before having surgical removal of the decayed/damaged tooth. The patient can have them on the same day or the next day. In addition, if there is any damage, they can be easily fixed.
- Convenience– Dental flippers can be easily worn or removed from the mouth when not in use (especially before sleeping and night cleaning) as well as replaced with other fixed alternatives.
- Natural appearance- With dental flippers, patients can achieve a full, natural, and aesthetically pleasing smile.
- Stabilizes existing natural teeth– Until permanent teeth are ready to fill in the smile gaps, flippers can help prevent shifting of the existing nearby teeth towards the gap.
- Lightweight and flexible– Dental flippers are not bulky dental appliances and they can include a newly lost tooth.
- Fewer dental visits– Patients can finish their planned treatment with dental flippers in fewer dental appointments, even before and after they are placed inside the mouth.
Dental Implants For Missing Tooth Replacement
Tooth implants are metal posts (usually titanium screws) that act like natural tooth roots and a permanent base for the replacement teeth. Doctors recommend them as a replacement option for a single lost tooth or multiple missing teeth only when the gum tissues are healthy and there is sufficient jawbone density to support the implant. They are surgically inserted into an existing healthy jawbone by drilling a hole in it. This allows osseointegration (fusion of the implant with the jawbone) to take place, which further stabilizes its placement.
Teeth implants are a gold-standard solution for dental restoration. They are the best alternative to dentures that are uncomfortable to wear and have a tendency to loosen over time and dental bridges which require anchoring to other teeth. The placement of tooth implants allows the remaining teeth to remain healthy and intact.
Benefits Of Dental Implants
- Long-lasting –Teeth implants can last for several decades and even a lifetime if properly cared for and maintained.
- Preserves jawbone health– After tooth loss, the jawbone can deteriorate and the lower facial structure could collapse. With implants, the overall health of the jawbone is not affected.
- Easy to care for and maintain– Just like natural teeth, they can be easily looked after by the patient.
- Natural appearance, feel, and functionality– Teeth implants mimic natural teeth in their appearance and feel the same in biting/chewing functions.
There are various factors to take into consideration when you’re deciding whether to go with flippers or implants. Tooth implants offer a long-lasting solution with less maintenance, and in certain situations, flippers may be the better solution for patients. Flippers are also popular among people because they are affordable and removable.
To choose the right one between dental flipper vs implant, please schedule a consultation with the expert team of dentists at First Point Dental that can help you make the right choice between tooth flippers vs implants.