What are the Most Effective Ways to Whiten Your Teeth?￼
The desire for whiter teeth has been a popular trend for a long time. If your teeth aren’t as bright and white as they used to be or as white as you would like them to be, there are several and most effective ways to whiten your teeth.
At First Point Dental, one of the best teeth whitening clinics in Chicago, we meet many patients who complain of having discolored or stained teeth and are looking for effective methods to make their smile brighter and more beautiful. Several factors increase the risk of stained teeth such as increasing age, smoking, or consuming dark staining foods and drinks such as tea, coffee, red meat, and hard beverages. With advancements in dental technologies, social media popularity, and the spread of dental awareness in society, more people resort to various methods to restore the former shade of teeth. Also, the dental whitening market is a bit overwhelming and confusing, so in this informative guide, we discuss dentist-recommended options that can help you determine what will work for you and your budget to achieve a dazzling smile.
At First Point Dental, we cater to the needs of our patients by providing them with different and best methods of teeth whitening, including custom-fabricated whitening trays for use at home along with in-office teeth bleaching. The truth is that one method will not fit all. Nowadays, many teeth whitening products available in the market come with some drawbacks. However, professional teeth whitening methods are always best.
Steps that can be taken to safely and properly achieve a pearly white smile include:
Deciding on the amount of money you want to spend and how much time you have for teeth whitening treatment – Professional teeth whitening procedures generally provide quicker results.
Teeth whitening options provided at the dental clinic usually contain either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide as the key ingredient. These help brighten the smile to a lighter and brighter shade of white. The price and speed of the teeth whitening treatment are determined by the concentration of hydrogen peroxide in the teeth whitening product.
The Three Most Effective & Best Ways to Whiten your Teeth Include:
1. Over-the-counter teeth whitening strips, kits, or pens – It takes anywhere from a week to a month to provide the desired shade of white, but it is the most affordable approach. The OTC whitening strips are convenient for individuals to take breaks in between the treatment and prepare their schedule if there is any sensitivity. However, if the patient is not careful with them, they can slip and sit on the gums, causing stinging or discomfort, especially if there is a lot of saliva in the mouth. Patients with more saliva might face difficulties in sticking the strips to their teeth.
2. Custom-take home trays offered at First Point Dental – The dentist first takes an impression (or mold) of your teeth at the dental office and sends it to a dental laboratory for the production of custom-fitted teeth whitening trays. These can comfortably fit the detention as they are built to the size and structure of the tooth, ensuring that they remain secure to the hard tissues of the teeth. Usually, they are not too expensive and can last longer than whitening strips (maybe for a lifetime if properly cared for). Whenever the teeth need whitening, whitening products can be purchased from the dental clinic for the permanent molds. Dental professionals can let their patients know about the amount of peroxide required and the longevity of the treatment depending upon the chosen whitening product. It is less likely to cause any teeth sensitivity as the trays do not touch the gums and most of them contain carbamide peroxide or potassium nitrate that help reduce tooth sensitivity. Moreover, just like strips, they can be taken on or off as needed at home.
3. In-office teeth whitening – This is the quickest method as the patient can expect to get results in a single dental visit. Generally, it is a costly option and commonly said to cause most teeth sensitivity because of the much stronger solutions (bleaching agents) being used. In addition, dentists can use high-intensity light like UV, halogen, LED, heat, or a combination of two to intensify the process of teeth whitening by activating the whitening agent. Before applying the teeth whitening agent, the dentist ensures that all the fleshy mouthparts remain protected with a barrier along the gum line. Once the process is complete, the mouth is rinsed and fluoride is applied over the teeth to mitigate any potential teeth sensitivity.
Ensure that you are eligible for teeth whitening – Candidates who are not suitable for teeth whitening include:
- Pregnant or nursing women
- People aged under 18 years
- Individuals who are undergoing chemotherapy or radiation
- People using photosensitive drugs
- People diagnosed with melanoma, have curious lesions or cavities, cracked enamel, cervical abrasion, or having dentinogenesis/amelogenesis imperfecta.
Individuals may or may not be candidates for teeth whitening if they possess anterior tooth fillings, veneers, internal stainings such as tetracycline staining, or fluorosis. To find out if you are eligible for teeth whitening, consult your dentist or dental hygienist. Moreover, before teeth whitening ensure that teeth are professionally cleaned. Dental hygienists in Chicago at First Point Dental recommend that after every 6 months, people must go for dental check-ups as well as a professional dental cleaning.
Making a decision in the path to whiter teeth depends upon your commitment level, your expenses, and your tooth sensitivity. Talk with your dental provider before making a choice as they can help guide you in the right direction and let you know the best and most effective ways to whiten your teeth.